This is kind of a shitty photo since I didn’t bother to use a tripod or anything, I just wanted a some quick documentation. What you’re seeing is a chip glued to a piece of aluminum, then taped into a plastic box for shipping. The chip is halfway covered with glue on purpose, because I’m sending it out to be coated with about 1um of some carbon based polymer. I used a wax that melts at about 120C, stuck the chip and aluminum on a hot plate, crushed some wax, and used tweezers to drop pieces on the chip to try to cover half of it. If you look close you can see a 3 by 6 grid of squares on the chip, those are each superconducting x-ray detectors (well they are when they are at 100 mK, at room temperature they’re useless). The coating I’m adding is supposed to fix something that happens when an x-ray knocks an electron off the surface of the detector, then we can’t measure the energy in that electron, and so we can’t measure the energy of the x-ray correctly. We could do something like this in a less cludgy way, but this is faster and cheaper and I just want to compare detectors with and without the coating.